My, how times change in the sporting world

I’m contemplating making a day trip up to Cleveland, Ohio, so I can knock off one more ballpark on my ongoing quest for all 30 Major League Baseball parks, but it dawned on me that there was some room for concern.  Currently, the NBA is in the midst of their playoffs, and as it stands the Atlanta Hawks are playing against the Cleveland Cavaliers.  The jury is still out, but this could pose some complications for someone like me, hoping to be able to hop on flights to and from Cleveland from Atlanta.

But then I saw that the series currently sits at 3-0 in a best of seven, in favor of the Cavs, with game 4 tonight, so there’s a good chance that the Hawks will continue their outstanding tradition of choking, as well as the Atlanta tradition of falling short of a championship, regardless of sport.

However, that’s not what really prompted me to write today.  It’s what’s happening in the Western conference that caught my eye, and made me think, “hmm, really??

The Golden State Warriors are a win away from the NBA Finals, and as the team with the best record in the NBA outright, stands a good chance of going all the way.

For a championship.

And this is where I show my age a little bit and reminisce about how this is somewhat interesting to me, because in the time in which I did follow the NBA and loved basketball above all other sports, this is basically what I recall of the Golden State Warriors:

Wins Losses W/L%
2002 21 61 .256
2001 17 65 .207
2000 19 63 .232
1999* 21 29 .420
1998 19 63 .232

*Strike-shortened season

Basically, the Warriors were the laughing stock of the NBA.  Asking an NBA fan how many teams there were in California, would usually prompt the answer of “three,” because everyone knows the two Los Angeles teams, and some people often said “Oh yeah, the Sacramento Kings,” but most everyone forgot about the Golden State Warriors.  Sure, being named after the state’s nickname, and not necessarily Oakland, where they’re actually located didn’t help with that, but the fact of the matter is that people often times don’t remember the team that was so lousy and terrible.

It didn’t matter that the Warriors had some really good talent back in those ages, like Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway and Chris Webber, they just weren’t ever any good.  Whether it be injuries, a sheer inability to function as a cohesive unit, or just players underperforming, the Warriors were simply no good.  They had more notoriety when Latrell Sprewell choked their own coach in 1997, but then lost all of it, when they won just 19 games out of 82 played.

And that’s the thing, the Warriors were so bad in this era of basketball, that .200s basketball was the norm.  Imagine that kind of futility?  A literal 20% chance to see a win if you’re a Warriors fan.  A literal 80% chance to see a win if you’re a fan of the team playing against the Warriors.  The humiliation that you’d feel if you privy to see a rare defeat at the hands of the Warriors, and the jubilation of seeing a rare Warriors win, if a Golden State fan.

Out of 41 home games, the team literally had a chance to win like, eight of them.  Imagine being a season ticket holder, and like every single game that was attended ended up as a loss?  That’s the kind of shit that happens where you throw yourself off the Golden Gate Bridge, or at least stop liking sports outright.

Back to present day though, the Golden State Warriors are far from those pathetic cries of the past.  They’re on the doorstep of the NBA Finals, and even though the Cavaliers have LeBron James out to prove his legacy, the Warriors are far and beyond the superior team, and should for the most part win the championship.

But my, how the times have changed in the NBA, where the Golden State Warriors are championship contenders, when they used to be a team where they only contention they had was getting that #1 draft pick every summer.  Funny how things turn out on long enough of timelines.

Is it really that important to always know what’s “trending?”

Since I’m such a man of the times, I’m currently on book five of Game of Thrones: Song of Ice and Fire.  Unlike a lot of epic literary series, I’ve actually enjoyed GoT in written form a great deal, and I look forward to completing book five, and subsequently be like all other GoT novella fans, and (im)patiently await the sixth.

On that note, it goes without saying that I am very much behind in the television series, as it moves at light speed on screen in comparison to the pace of the novels.  I’ve just finished watching the second season of the show, and upon hearing news not too far ago about how things in season five of the television series will spoil plot points for what lies ahead in the not-yet-released book six, I can say that I will probably not watch any of season five, if I can help it.

Yes, I am one of those snobs, who always plays the game of comparisons between book and screen.  This should not be one iota of surprise to anyone.

However, it’s no secret that whatever is on screen typically wins the favor of the masses over the same story’s written form.  It’s no surprise, we’re mostly a visual society, and pretty pictures and named-actors are vastly more efficient at portraying stories than a bunch of boring old words.

So despite the fact that I’m going all old testament as far as my indulgence of Game of Thrones is concerned, millions of other people are alternatively getting (mostly) the same indulgence by simply tuning into HBO and watching the story, chopped down to consolidated hours at a time.

And when you have a million people watching the same thing, there will always, always be at least a thousand of them, ready, and god forbid willing, to bitch about it on the internet.  And when enough people bitch about a similar topic, that topic is then deemed as “trending,” and when something starts trending, it becomes worthy enough to be forced upon everyone’s Facebook pages, whether they want to see it or not.

Unfortunately for me, anything that pertains to GoT is something I do not want to see, as I am paranoid of being spoiled.  Unfortunately for me, as long as a topic is trending, it’s beyond anyone’s control that I have to see it anyway.

Spoilers ahead. Read more »

I hate the world we live in

When we’re kids, we’re often told that it’s best to talk things out, with another person, whenever there’s any sort of grievance.  That violence solves nothing, and that good communication will triumph over any sort of need for fisticuffs.

However, when we become adults, such basic concepts cease to exist, and grownups are more apt to employ every single form of tactic that remove themselves from the visible part of the equation as possible, and to utilize every trick in the book in order to get the job done without making themselves public.

Personally, I’ve always been of the persuasion that it’s still possible to talk things through with other people, and yes although it might be uncomfortable to confront concerns and grievances face-to-face, I still believe that resolution is more easily achieved in such a manner, and at least everything is on the table and out in the open.

Clearly, I am a very naïve person to believe that everyone would be willing to play by the same rules that I like to think I do, especially when there are easier (read: spineless) ones abundant and available.

It sucks that the world we live in is a world where war can be waged against us as individuals without us as individuals even knowing it’s happening.  And this is somehow okay.

The worst part is that even if you knew who was waging war against you, it’s not like anything could be done about it.  We live in a pussified society where confronting someone is automatically interpreted as harassment, and beating the shit out of a person, regardless of the fact that they deserve it, is automatically considered assault, and the victim of a shadow war is the only one not allowed to defend themselves in any way shape or form.

The world we live in absolutely sucks, and I hate it.  There is almost nothing redeeming about it, and it unfortunately doesn’t show any indication that it’s ever going to get any better.

Taking a breather

Something not very good has happened, and I do not want to talk about it yet.

I can’t say that I’m not going to be posting anything at all until things settle down, because who knows I see something and feel overwhelming inspiration to write about it, but I think it’s safe to bet that I’m going to probably err on sticking to this self-imposed timeout until things settle down.

There is a likely definitive conclusion to this, and it won’t be too long, but frankly, I don’t feel like writing or even really attempting to do so right now, and it’ll probably be that way until it’s over with.

Bad day today